The document of foundation of the Association was signed on 2
February 1992, in Vaja, the „Vay Ádám” Museum. Founders of the Association were
players from Vaja itself. The historic setting of the „Vay Ádám” Museum provides
a proper environment for the association. The museum itself is a significant
memorial place of the war of independence and freedom led by prince Rákóczi II.
The former owner of the castle, Ádám Vay, was a high-ranking military official.
The castle served as a venue for outstanding meetings several times in that
period (1703 – 1711).
The Rákóczi Tárogató Association is the single organisation
that unites those playing tárogató living in Hungary or elsewhere. Our
membership has ever been growing in number, with members to be found in every
part of the country. Players in other countries have also got the information
about this association and established regular contact with us in several
countries in Europe. In America several players keep in touch with the
association. Tárogató players living abroad consider the association as an
The functioning of the association is laid down in its Charter. The aim of
the creation and running of the association is:
- to re-discover and keep alive a Hungarian instrument, the tárogató;
and to popularise it among the young and the more senior generation
- to enliven the traditions attached to the tárogató and the ’kuruc’
era, which were so many times closely linked with our national identity
- to collect and organise the still existing and valuable remains of
folklore connected to the tárogató
- to publish, teach musical notes written for the instrument, provide
aid for the tárogató makers and professional assistance for players
- to be a centre for all players in and outside Hungary (The Rákóczi
- to improve the conditions of operation of The Rákóczi Tárogató
Association, to ensure the financial background for the stage appearance at
home and abroad, which is inevitably important for the artistic development,
in the first place by finding sponsors and foundations and by winning tenders.
- to participate at national and clerical celebrations and give
- to popularise the chamber music written for the tárogató, and lift it to
the level of musical instruments traditionally classified as classical
- to organise national and international meetings for tárogató players
- to educate the young generation, for example by holding summer camps
with the involvement of the Hungarian Scouts Society
- being a legal personality, the association aims at popularising and
contributing in events connected with the memory of Ferenc Rákóczi II., the
‘kuruc’ era and the traditions of the tárogató.
- to ensure the conditions for operation of the Rákóczi Tárogató Ensemble,
within the framework of the Rákóczi Tárogató Association.
The association, from the moment of its foundation is running under the
professional direction of its president, Csaba Nagy. As from 1997 the
association was granted the rank of public utility society.
Every year, the largest scale event is the National Tárogató Meeting, which
found home in the Rákóczi Castle of Szerencs in the past few years. The
organisers made every effort to include in the schedule of the three-day event
professional presentations, concerts, individual performances, introduction of
new instruments. The last meeting provided opportunity to try the instruments
prepared by three different makers. Each time a one-day excursion is part and
parcel of the programme. The historic venues visited in the past years are
Sárospatak, Borsi, Krasznahorka, Kassa, Késmárk.
National level meetings are held every year, whereas international meetings take
place in every five years. The forthcoming such meeting is planned to be held as
of 30 June – 11 July 2010. (The preliminary programme is to be found under a